Depressed Dialysis Patients More Likely To Be Hospitalized Or Die, Researcher Finds
Dialysis patients diagnosed with depression are nearly twice as likely to be hospitalized or die within a year than those who are not ... > full story
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, call this hotline number below.
Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
If you are depressed and need to talk to someone, call this number:
Depression Hotline: 1-800-248-4344
Suicide is defined as the act of killing oneself intentionally. It stems from severe depression, an illness that intervenes with the mental, physical and emotional aspects of a person.
Thankfully, the majority of depressed people do not actually die from suicide. But depression does trigger a higher suicidal risk.
Depression, characterized by erratic mood swings, loss of interest in hobbies and activities is a very serious emotional disorder affecting about 9.5 per cent of the nation. Needless to say, it could be a lot more fatal if a depressed person is heading towards suicide.
In no particular order, here are some signs to note if someone you know and or love is suicidal
1. Mentions of Suicide or Death
2. Wanting to tie up loose ends or give away personal belongings
3. Engaging in reckless behavior such as heavy alcohol and drug use
4. Withdrawing from family and friends
5. Erratic mood swings
6. Inappropriately saying goodbye.
Other than depression, there are other risk factors for suicide:
2. Traumatic life events.
3. Family violence
4. Previous suicide Attempts
Now Friends, If you believe someone is contemplating suicide do seek help immediately. There are a several suicide prevention web sites and hotlines available to help those in need, but in case these are not within your reach, you can try the following:
1. Cultivate Physical Closeness
2. If the person is acutely suicidal, do not leave him or her alone.
3. Remember: suicidal behavior is a cry for help. Thus if someone contemplating suicide turns to you, it is likely that he believes that you are more caring and more informed about coping with depression, and more willing to help. This in itself is a positive, thus it will be time to empower yourself to be what a suicidal person views you to be; stronger and you are.
4. Try to search the house for dangerous items such as guns and knives that could be potentially harmful.
Moreover, if you are of a spiritual inclination, this will be a good time to pray according to the framework of your faith. Indeed, prayer when used effectively can work wonders to aid in curtailing depression suicide.
Depression is a problem that has to be uprooted to keep suicidal thoughts at bay.
This is because preventing suicide is no easy feat, either.
That considered, it will be advisable to seek effective and useful treatment for treatment of depression. The choice in this regard must be extensive and complex enough so that the effects will last a long time and eventually banish all suicidal thoughts. They must also be carried out according to the age, culture and gender of the suicidal patients.
Naturally we all would get concerned or frightened if a loved one seems on the brink of suicide resulting from depression, however as with all life’s problems, if we can catch it early and nip it in the bud, depression suicide can be prevented.
In the event that things may have gotten more advanced, then it may be time to seek professional help or as an alternative double up on our efforts to steer the loved one back to a positive outlook on life.
Foras Aje is an independent researcher and co-founder of BodyHealthSoul LLC. He invites you to visit his blog for more tips on Depression Treatment and Self-Help Today.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Foras_Aje